Friday, August 8, 2008

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

Grrr... I haven't been reviewing Event log entries for quite a while (around a month or so). Today I've been surprised by the copious amounts of errors linked to the message above. Almost brand new Acer laptop, It isn't four months old since I've bought it. Former laptop (also Acer product) managed to survive without a scratch on a disk for around three years or so. And after such entries began to appear, it worked flawlessly until retirement (well that would be a matter of debate, I agree. Maybe I was only lucky enough for that long).

Even at the highest peak of disk utilization for prolonged periods event log entries were no higher than two or three per week. In my case there is 1.529 events during paging operation and other various I/O operations. Looks like to me that disk is slowly saying it's goodbye... grrr...

PS of a little comfort is the fact that SMART returned good status. Yeah, right....

No comments: